Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome, friends!

My story is all too familiar, I'm sure.

Except for the Mom of 7 kids part, hee hee! DH and I got married in 1997 and moved to this beautiful home in 1999 when we were 6 months pregnant with our very first baby, a girl. So fun!

Previous to living here, our first year of marriage was spent in a very rustic (very!) "chalet" with a loft where we slept - the bed we were given was a King and I still scratch my head as to how we even got it to fit in that loft, lol! It was on my parent's 37-acre Christmas tree farm.

So when we saw our current home, we were soooo thrilled that we qualified for a loan to buy something like that!! To us, it was absolutely gorgeous. To normal people, it probably just looked like a simple 8 year-old home painted plain white everywhere and 1100 square feet. It was perfect for us. Here is a peek - our front porch as it looked this summer (errr...before the potted flowers all died...waaah!)

But, I'm not much of a decorator. I have IDEAS in my head and a "look" that I love when I see it elsewhere, but to implement it into MY home only using thrift/garage sale finds and hand-me-downs, Craigslist finds, etc...is really overwhelming, daunting, and seemingly impossible.

So over the years I've made attempts. Some of them were pretty good attempts, actually! But I didn't really know anything. And I don't think blogs existed 11 years ago. So the results is kind of just lame sort of rooms - mostly trashed long ago and in very much need of repainting, fixing small holes made by doorknobs being slammed, the occasional car or sharp object being thrown onto the kitchen vinyl floor.

My bedroom, I have always wished for a sanctuary bedroom. A place where the children are not allowed unless it is a special time with Mom (or I'm in the bathroom and they've followed me in there cuz hey, where Mom is, is THE happenin' place, didn't you know?!! Hee hee). What I currently have is so awful you would probably cringe.

Isn't it amazing how we just live year after year in the most awful looking room? So much so, that we end up just never even seeing it. But wow, if you look at it through someone else's eyes, it really looks different.

My style is a mix, probably just like most people's! I love a mix of Old World Italian, Tuscan, Mediterranean. To me, this is one of the most beautiful homes ever:

Only I would infuse it with lots of flowers in reds, pinks, and yellows - as well as lots of greens. And lots of kids. =)

I long for a home where I am NOT EMBARRASSED to have someone use our master bathroom if someone is using the main bathroom. Or to nurse their baby in, or even sleep in while DH & I are away. You know?

I'm sure you know. =)

So this is my mission this next year. I have grand plans!!! Oh yes, I have grand plans. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment