Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Laundry Basket Name Tags

This is my very first project! It seems like all I do every day is clean, clean, clean so it's hard to find time for actual home IMPROVEMENT vs. home CLEANING. But I've been working overtime hard so that the house is clean enough that I can start redecorating, reorganizing, etc.

In our house, we have a family closet of sorts. All 7 of our children have their own laundry basket of clean clothing that sits on a shelf in our family room. Normally this would be in the laundry room or ideally even in a separate larger closet. But that's okay - I like it so much that I don't care where it is!

The problem: babysitters have no idea whose clothing is whose. So I decided to make name tags! Inspired by different blogs and ideas I've seen online, I got to work. My baskets are not matching but I did my best with what I had, and now they look much nicer just because they are *slightly* more uniform looking, lol.

First I did a search for free fonts on Google. Found a site right away, and then found a good Tuscan type font that I loved. Downloaded it onto my computer, then opened a word document and typed the names of my children in large font.

I found some sturdy white card paper and printed the names out. Then I cut them into the same shape as best I could, and glued them onto black construction paper.

Next, I cut the black construction paper into nice even-looking labels, and covered the face of each one with packing tape. Ha ha! I'm finding out that to be crafty you get, well, creative. =) The end results - ta da! (and these ARE white in real life, lol)



1 comment:

  1. great idea. You could also sew a curtain to cover the shelf with if you wanted to but maybe now you don't need it. So a ? about folding. do you bother to or no? Just wondering...seems I fold stuff and put into their drawers and they just mess it up anyway.

    ReplyDelete