Saturday, September 15, 2012

Master Bedroom REVEAL - Part 2, "During"


Click Here to see Part 1 of Master Bedroom REVEAL - Before Pictures

This segment is going to be pretty short, just showing a few "in the middle" pictures of the process!  One thing is for sure, those beautiful and gorgeous pictures on blogs and Pinterest of the bedroom makeovers don't show how much work and MESS is required to get it that way!! I never knew until I dived in, wow, talk about needing a vision in the midst of it all!

Please excuse the crappy picture quality - THAT is one of the main reasons I upgraded to the Iphone, for the awesome camera on hand at all times!  But this gives you an idea of what it looked like in the meantime, anyway.


When I was finished with all the priming, my room already felt AMAZING.  The difference between the fresh white and the dark and gloomy (with only one window, it really was!) red/green combo was just phenomenal.  I knew immediately that my decision to really go 100% in a totally different direction with my colors was a good one!  


I was tempted to leave it all white for a long time. =) Just so crisp and clean! Kind of like snow, how everything becomes brighter even at night, and hushed.  This really showed me how much paint does make a difference, even if it's ugly looking primer lol!


The debate on the room color, what shade of blue, was long and grueling.  I ended up getting pregnant right after I painted these on the wall and spent a good 4 months after that with day & night nausea.  Lots of time to think about it, and end up hating ALL OF THEM because I was so sick ha ha!  One thing is for sure, the colors online are almost always NOTHING LIKE what they look like off of your computer screen! 


At first, I was SO excited to start putting up the board & batten that I just bought this little saw and cut the boards myself.  It was hard work and my large pregnant belly sure didn't like that seesaw back & forth movement -- but I was so determined just to get STARTED already!  

Putting up that first long board, not nailed or anything, gave me butterflies! I just knew it was going to completely change the entire look of my room and I couldn't wait!  I also couldn't believe that after almost a year of surfing the net and reading and pinning, I was actually going to do it too!! Squeal!

DH ended up showing me how to use the electric saw (scary! But bad ass once I figured it out! lol) and oh my Lord.  like 1,000 times easier.


Caulking, caulking, many hours of caulking and painting soooo many nooks and crannies.  Listened to lots and lots of Dave Ramsey and other talk shows -- little by little I got it done.


I did everything you see here by myself, on these two walls.  Measured x1 million, cut the boards, everything.  Then, being 7 months pregnant and all, my Dad took pity on me and helped me for 2 solid days to finish the rest of the room while DH took the kids away.  So nice of him to do that!  He even painted the ceiling for me. (heart)


This corner was really tricky, and I did lots of research online as to HOW on earth to cut the boards when you have the rounded corners on the wall like this.  We have two in our room, but the rest of the house has lots more so I wanted to make sure I did it right -- I plan to do more of this kind of thing in the rest of the house in the future.

DH to the rescue!  He has mad hardwood floor installing skills, and knew how to cut these weird and funky angles that someone as novice as me could never come up with.  Everything *I* did was from tutorials online...and there was just nothing like this anywhere!  It looks amazing now, all caulked and painted.


My other big painting project was to take my old, faded, ugly faux oak bathroom cabinets and paint them BLACK!  Oh my goodness did this ever make an amazing difference!!! I highly recommend it, and I am going to do it in my kitchen which has the same thing, in the future.  


Lots of work and lots of MESS.  It was tricky keeping the little ones out of these open drawers!  

That's it for "during" pictures -- thanks for reading!

Click Here to see Part 3 of Master Bedroom REVEAL - After Pictures

1 comment:

  1. Holy moly. I am so lost just reading you talk about this. You are so amazing. Wow.

    ReplyDelete