Friday, October 14, 2011

Master Bedroom Update!

Things are moving right along, and it is SO exciting to see it all coming together!!!! I love love LOVE what I am doing to my master bedroom and am so thrilled that even though I have like a jillion kids and a billion things to do -- if I work on just one thing every single day then eventually it does get done! I just have to not stress about it and let it work itself out as it just does. Not on my timeline but my family's.

Today I made leaps and SPRINTS in the progress though, and I thought to share a bit of what I'm working on with you! First of all I have to show off my bed, it is coming together so beautifully! I found the most gorgeous sheer cotton bedskirt that is sweeping and romantic and I love it!

I don't have very many pillows for my bed, and our twin duvet covers are coming in the mail (white, of course!) and I don't have a coverlet to go OVER those duvets so...I just kind of improvised (which is what my life is ALLLL about these days anyway! =) and used the white king duvet I got at a garage sale for $5 over the twin duvets. The king duvet is okay for now, but it barely hangs over the edges unlike a coverlet which would cover all the edges nicely, down to the bedskirt. I have one in mind that I LOVE but it is $99 AND it is dry clean only. =( Waaah! So probably not happening for me...another one I really like is from JCPenney and is only $69 and is washable, but of course I really love the "forbidden" one lol.

Yesterday I spent some time washing the front of the cabinet that holds our sink in our bedroom - the sink is actually IN our bedroom with a mirror and cabinets, and then there is another door that leads to the toilet/bathtub. So this cabinet is pretty much "in your face" as far as matching with the rest of the bedroom - I have included that whole area in the new plan for my room.

I also had to repair a big long crack in the main cabinet door so I used Elmer's wood glue to take care of that - it came out okay. I had to fill in the gap still with wood filler today and sand it down and it definitely does not look 100% but with the black paint I don't think I'll be able to see it.

I don't know how exactly it happened, but I was able to spend about 3 hours total on the cabinets today/tonight - first priming them all, and that is paintable in just 1 hour so I was able to move right along to painting! That was SUPER fun because I have been painting with WHITE for months and months now. White primer, white paint - yum, but it gets old after a while. Painting the blue of my room was really fun and I lay in bed looking at the dreamy-ness of it in the mornings...I love it!

So I was able to paint ALL the cabinet including the doors with one coat of primer, and then about 95% of it with one coat of black paint today! yay! It already looks AMAZING and the white just POPS -- I can't wait to do another coat (or two? We'll see) and then add the knobs...that is going to be so cool. None of our cabinets in our entire house have knobs, not even in the kitchen - so lame. Have you ever seen a Pottery Barn anything without knobs? Me neither, it's so mid 90's!

Here's a few pictures to leave you with - and yes, I am on pins & needles that one of the kids is going to touch the paint drying in my bedroom...aack! But they've been pretty good so far besides always asking if they can paint too. I just tell them not in my room, BUT when we do their room, they can help!

Pardon the mess - I'm realizing more & more that the beautiful after pictures of ANYTHING never show how extremely messy it was in the interum!



I enjoy painting very much. It is really rewarding to see something spring forth with new life from my own hands, and the only thing it takes is my time - it is very low cost once you have all the materials. I purchased a quart of very high end paint to do my cabinets (Benjamin Moore Advance Satin Blank) - it cost me $22, I know, TRUST me, ouch. But after painting just one coat on the cabinets, it looks like I barely made a dent in that can. So one more coat, is going to be not much either. I should have enough left over to paint a chair for my bedroom, and a king bedframe, AND maybe even the front door! I'd say that's a pretty good investment.

I also love shopping the "oops" paints at Home Depot and Lowe's - you can get pretty good paint for super duper cheap. I can't wait to do even more projects when I have had the baby and all the postpartum stuff is behind me...I have 6 weeks left to go until d-day now! =)

1 comment:

  1. Love the bedskirt! I am amazed at all you do...seriously!

    ReplyDelete